Review Amazon Best Children’s Book of 2013: The Day the Crayons
Quit, Drew Daywalt’s clever story of a box of crayons gone rogue will get the
whole family laughing at the letters written by the occupants of the
ubiquitous yellow and green box. The combination of text and Oliver Jeffers’
illustrations match the colors’ personalities beautifully as the crayons share
their concern, appreciation, or downright frustration: yellow and orange
demand to know the true color of the sun, while green–clearly the people
pleaser of the bunch–is happy with his workload of crocodiles, trees, and
dinosaurs. Peach crayon wants to know why his wrapper was torn off, leaving
him naked and in hiding; blue is exhausted and, well, worn out; and pink wants
a little more paper time. The result of this letter writing campaign is
colorful creativity and after reading this book I will never look at crayons
the same way again–nor would I want to. —Seira Wilson Read more From
Booklist Duncan’s crayons are on strike. One morning he opens his desk looking
for them and, in their place, finds a pack of letters detailing their
grievances, one crayon at a time. Red is tired. Beige is bored. Black is
misunderstood. Peach is naked! The conceit is an enticing one, and although
the crayons’ complaints are not entirely unique (a preponderance centers
around some variation of overuse), the artist’s indelible characterization
contributes significant charm. Indeed, Jeffers’ ability to communicate emotion
in simple gestures, even on a skinny cylinder of wax, elevates crayon drawing
to remarkable heights. First-class bookmaking, with clean design, ample trim
size, and substantial paper stock, adds to the quality feel. A final spread
sees all things right, as Duncan fills a page with bright, delightful imagery,
addressing each of the crayons’ issues and forcing them into colorful
cooperation. Kids who already attribute feelings to their playthings will
never look at crayons the same way again. Grades K-3. –Thom Barthelmess Read
more See all Editorial Reviews
- Age Range: 3 – 7 years
- Grade Level: Preschool – 2
- Lexile Measure: AD730L (What's this?)
- Hardcover: 40 pages
- Publisher: Philomel Books; 1st edition (June 27, 2013)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 0399255370
- ISBN-13: 73
- Product Dimensions: 10.3 x 0.4 x 10.5 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1 pounds
Unless noted Otherwise in the Item Description, we ship all orders within 2 business days of payment.
Most items are shipped within one business day via UPS within the Continental United States.
- Canada shipment can take up to 10 days
- Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico shipment can take up to 10 days, and some items may not be permitted to ship to these locations.
- If any shipment is not permitted to your area, full refund will be issued within two business days.
All returns accepted within 30 days after receiving the item.
- Refund given as money back (no exchanges)
- Return Shipping to be paid by buyer, unless item defective or damaged.
- 15% Restocking fee applies unless return due to defective or damaged product.
- Perishable or Hazardous Goods are not returnable. Returns may require compliance with Manufacturer policies.
We take our reputation seriously. We buy and sell online, so we understand the value of trust. If you are unsatisfied with your order for any reason, please Contact Us and we will work with you to resolve it to your satisfaction.