Size:Black Mustard Seed – 4 oz. Black mustard seeds are a mainstay in Indian
cooking. When soaked in water the myrosinase is activated and the dish will
benefit from an intense heat and pungency. A trick, though, is to heat or
toast the seeds in hot oil or ghee instead. The nutty flavors are achieved
with none of the acridness. Myrosinase dissipates quickly when heated so it
should be added towards the end of cooking if it’s been ground into powder.
Mustard seeds come in three varieties: yellow, brown, and black. Yellow
mustard seeds (also called white mustard seeds since the sandy color can go
either way) are used primarily in Europe and western Asia, whereas brown and
black are used in India and the countries surrounding it. Flavor-wise they all
differ greatly. Yellow seeds are mellow with less pungency, and have an
initial floral sweetness to them. Brown seeds are a bit horseradish-y with an
earthy flavor (though sometimes possess enough heat to burn down a barn).
Black seeds are particularly pungent and hot, the impact of biting into one is
enough to bring about a nuclear winter. Whole seeds have little aroma, and
have to be ground for the flavors to awaken. The enzyme myrosinase is what
gives mustard its acrid pungency and penetrating heat. However, it’s a fickle
enzyme. Water must be added for the enzyme’s flavor to bloom and temperature
matters. Cold water will ensure a mustard paste that is intensely hot, bitter,
acrid, and pungent (possibly to the point of it being inedible if the water is
ice cold). Warm water will mellow it out and hot water will negate the flavor
- Black Mustard Seeds have a sharp and pungent but balanced taste and aroma that is released when toasted or ground.
- Black mustard seeds are particularly pungent and hot.
- All Natural, Gluten-Free, Kosher Parve, Non-GMO
- Spice Jungle Brand – 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
- Item Weight: 7 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 7 ounces
- #276 in Mustard Seeds & Powder
Unless noted Otherwise in the Item Description, we ship all orders within 2 business days of payment.
Most items are shipped within one business day via UPS within the Continental United States.
- Canada shipment can take up to 10 days
- Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico shipment can take up to 10 days, and some items may not be permitted to ship to these locations.
- If any shipment is not permitted to your area, full refund will be issued within two business days.
All returns accepted within 30 days after receiving the item.
- Refund given as money back (no exchanges)
- Return Shipping to be paid by buyer, unless item defective or damaged.
- 15% Restocking fee applies unless return due to defective or damaged product.
- Perishable or Hazardous Goods are not returnable. Returns may require compliance with Manufacturer policies.
We take our reputation seriously. We buy and sell online, so we understand the value of trust. If you are unsatisfied with your order for any reason, please Contact Us and we will work with you to resolve it to your satisfaction.