2003 release, the sophomore album from the acclaimed
singer, songwriter and surfer. Adam Topol played drums and percussion while
Merlo Podlewski played bass. The album was recorded at The Mango Tree studios
in Hawaii. Jack Johnson has found himself a groove. Indeed, the
Hawaiian surfing champion turned alternative pop-folk star really hasn’t
changed things one iota for his sophomore release. Fans of Brushfire
Fairytales should be delighted with the results. The groove is a mellow one–
most of the 16 tracks here are semi-acoustic–and that easy-going spirit
filters into Johnson’s lyrical philosophies. “What will be will be / And so it
goes” he sings on “Times Like These,” the opening track. Thankfully, Johnson
is never too mellow, and there’s a “Don’t worry, be happy” vibe to most of his
music. “The Horizon Has Been Defeated” even has a pseudo-reggae feel to it.
Although classified as an alternative musician, the singer-songwriter’s
compositions owe much to past hits. “Traffic in the Sky” is reminiscent of Jim
Croce’s “Operator” and Looking Glass’s one-hit-wonder, “Brandy.” On the
splendid “Taylor,” Johnson sounds an awful lot like Donovan. And “By The Way”
recalls the Lovin’ Spoonful. — Bill Holdship
- Audio CD (May 6, 2003)
- Original Release Date: 2003
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Import
- Label: Republic
- #16 in Alternative Rock Singer-Songwriters
- #151 in Electric Blues
Unless noted Otherwise in the Item Description, we ship all orders within 2 business days of payment.
Most items are shipped within one business day via UPS within the Continental United States.
- Canada shipment can take up to 10 days
- Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico shipment can take up to 10 days, and some items may not be permitted to ship to these locations.
- If any shipment is not permitted to your area, full refund will be issued within two business days.
All returns accepted within 30 days after receiving the item.
- Refund given as money back (no exchanges)
- Return Shipping to be paid by buyer, unless item defective or damaged.
- 15% Restocking fee applies unless return due to defective or damaged product.
- Perishable or Hazardous Goods are not returnable. Returns may require compliance with Manufacturer policies.
We take our reputation seriously. We buy and sell online, so we understand the value of trust. If you are unsatisfied with your order for any reason, please Contact Us and we will work with you to resolve it to your satisfaction.