‘Mezmerize’, is part of a two CD. Disc One of the 2-disc
set ‘Mezmerize/Hypnotize’. Disc Two, ‘Hypnotize’, is expected to be released
late this fall. “B.Y.O.B.,” the first single from the new album, is already a
Top 10 track at Rock/Alternative radio. Columbia. 2005. Four CD’s
and nearly ten years into their career, System of a Down continue to be the
Gilbert and Sullivan of this generation, delivering razor-sharp political
commentary via beautiful, quirky melodies and discordant harmonies. The group
has mastered the ability to be both successful and subversive–with 2001’s
Toxicity selling over six million copies and debuting at number one on the
Billboard charts, their success in indisputable. As far are their subversive-
ness, the lyrical content on Mezmerize is a solid stream of anti-war, anti-
corporate and anti-celebrity sentiment. The disc’s first single proves as
beautifully schizophrenic as anything the band has released. “B.Y.O.B.” opens
with guitarist Daron Malakian’s rapid-fire riff, then frontman Serj Tankian’s
anti-war screams of “Why do they always send the poor?”; less than a minute
later, a nearly-surreal jump to a facetiously perky, beach party chorus that
could easily be found on a Britney or Justin record: “Everybody’s going to the
party/have a real good time.” Guitarist/co-songwriter Malakian takes increased
vocal time on the disc, including the hilarious, size-obsessed “Cigaro” and
celeb-slapping “Radio/Video”. Witticism aside, musical and lyrical intensity
peaks with the operatic “Question!” and the emotional piledriver that is “Sad
Statue”, the group¹s unflinching statement on war and Lady Liberty. The only
shortcoming of Mezmerize is, quite simply, that it is short. Clocking in at a
mere 38 minutes, the reason given is that this release is one-half of a two CD
set–with part 2, Hypnotize, expected in late fall 2005. –Denise Sheppard
- Audio CD (May 17, 2005)
- Unknown edition
- Original Release Date: May 17, 2005
- Number of Discs: 1
- Format: Explicit Lyrics
- Label: American / Columbia
- Run Time: 36 minutes
Unless noted Otherwise in the Item Description, we ship all orders within 2 business days of payment.
Most items are shipped within one business day via UPS within the Continental United States.
- Canada shipment can take up to 10 days
- Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico shipment can take up to 10 days, and some items may not be permitted to ship to these locations.
- If any shipment is not permitted to your area, full refund will be issued within two business days.
All returns accepted within 30 days after receiving the item.
- Refund given as money back (no exchanges)
- Return Shipping to be paid by buyer, unless item defective or damaged.
- 15% Restocking fee applies unless return due to defective or damaged product.
- Perishable or Hazardous Goods are not returnable. Returns may require compliance with Manufacturer policies.
We take our reputation seriously. We buy and sell online, so we understand the value of trust. If you are unsatisfied with your order for any reason, please Contact Us and we will work with you to resolve it to your satisfaction.