Looking for a trouble-free crop that produces well, with little attention,
even in poor clay soil? Jerusalem artichokes, also known as sunchokes, are a
wild native to Eastern North America. These hardy members of the sunflower
family do not suffer from any disease or insect pests, and will out-compete
the most persistent weeds. A perennial in Zones 3-8, tubers planted any time
produce flower stalks which grow 6-8 feet tall. In June-July brilliant yellow
blossoms form, attracting seed eating birds through summer. As the plants
mature in late summer, an abundance of tasty edible tubers begin to heave up
the soil at the base of the plan (See Photo). Tubers may be left in the ground
and harvested as desired. Frost and cold temperatures do no harm to the
tubers, and improves the nutty flavor as well as serving as the best method of
storing your crop. In areas where the ground freezes in winter, apply a thick
layer of mulch to allow for easy harvest. Tubers left in the ground until
spring will sprout a new crop of flowers, and a new crop of delicious sunchoke
tubers. In a location that can be dedicated to this perennial crop, plant 1-2
ounce pieces of tuber, with at least two “eyes”, 4 inches deep, 12-18 inches
apart, in rows 18-36 inches apart. Deep sandy loam is best, but clay amended
with organic matter will produce up to two pounds or more of good quality
tuber per plant. 1 pound (see photo) of tubers yields enough “seed” pieces for
approximately 16 plants, and should be planted as soon as the tubers are
received. Tubers may be stored at 32˚ – 40˚F and 90-95% humidity for a short
period of time, as long as they are prevented from drying out. (Pack in damp
sand or peat moss) Eaten raw as a snack or in salads, as a water chestnut
substitute in Asian stir fry, or as a potato substitute in a variety of
dishes, this little known food crop is sure to become one of your favorites!
- Trouble-free crop that produces well.
- Jerusalem artichokes are rich in potassium an ideal food for those on low carb diets.
- Jeruslem artichokes also know as Sunchokes produce a nutty flavor, great as a snack or in a salad.
- Winter hardy in severe cold.
- Choose only Yumheart Gardens sunchokes to be assured of the highest quality.
- Shipping Weight: 2 pounds
- Manufacturer: Yumheart Gardens
Unless noted Otherwise in the Item Description, we ship all orders within 2 business days of payment.
Most items are shipped within one business day via UPS within the Continental United States.
- Canada shipment can take up to 10 days
- Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico shipment can take up to 10 days, and some items may not be permitted to ship to these locations.
- If any shipment is not permitted to your area, full refund will be issued within two business days.
All returns accepted within 30 days after receiving the item.
- Refund given as money back (no exchanges)
- Return Shipping to be paid by buyer, unless item defective or damaged.
- 15% Restocking fee applies unless return due to defective or damaged product.
- Perishable or Hazardous Goods are not returnable. Returns may require compliance with Manufacturer policies.
We take our reputation seriously. We buy and sell online, so we understand the value of trust. If you are unsatisfied with your order for any reason, please Contact Us and we will work with you to resolve it to your satisfaction.