From School Library Journal Gr 1–4—Readers who enjoyed Dog Man will be pleased
to see Pilkey deliver the same blend of over-the-top plot turns and
hilariously irreverent humor. This time, the title character (the result of
medical surgery that fused a canine and a policeman after an accident) is
tasked with buying his boss, the police chief, a birthday present. When the
pet he purchases turns out to be an evil fish, wacky high jinks ensue. And
there’s more trouble on the horizon. Angry that a mysterious stranger is
framing him for robbery, Dog Man’s nemesis, Petey the cat, escapes from prison
to clear his name. Meanwhile, the decoy that Petey uses to make his getaway, a
flat paper cat, comes to life. Once again, Dog Man must put things right,
relying on his keen ability to fight crime while also attempting to stifle
some of his canine urges. Pilkey uses the premise that the comic has been
penned by George and Harold, two elementary school students, and the artwork
and story are delightfully childlike. The illustrations have been rendered
with a thick-lined scrawl and simple shapes, and intentional misspellings and
errors are sprinkled throughout. While the sentence structure is simple and
concise, Pilkey displays a sense of sophistication, including clever puns and
wordplay, as well as a clear mastery of sequential art, making this an ideal
option for both reluctant and more advanced readers. VERDICT An entertainingly
zany addition to graphic novel collections; for series fans and newcomers
alike.—Mahnaz Dar, School Library Journal Read more Review Everyone Digs Dog
Man! “Riotously funny and original.” — School Library Journal, starred
review “An utter, unfettered delight.” — Booklist, starred review “Readers
(of any age) will be giggling from start to finish.” — Publishers Weekly,
starred review “Action-oriented cartoons… Laffs aplenty.” — Kirkus
Reviews, starred review Read more See all Editorial Reviews
- Age Range: 7 and up
- Grade Level: 2 – 3
- Lexile Measure: GN320L (What's this?)
- Series: Dog Man (Book 2)
- Hardcover: 224 pages
- Publisher: Graphix (December 27, 2016)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 3
- ISBN-13: 03
Unless noted Otherwise in the Item Description, we ship all orders within 2 business days of payment.
Most items are shipped within one business day via UPS within the Continental United States.
- Canada shipment can take up to 10 days
- Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico shipment can take up to 10 days, and some items may not be permitted to ship to these locations.
- If any shipment is not permitted to your area, full refund will be issued within two business days.
All returns accepted within 30 days after receiving the item.
- Refund given as money back (no exchanges)
- Return Shipping to be paid by buyer, unless item defective or damaged.
- 15% Restocking fee applies unless return due to defective or damaged product.
- Perishable or Hazardous Goods are not returnable. Returns may require compliance with Manufacturer policies.
We take our reputation seriously. We buy and sell online, so we understand the value of trust. If you are unsatisfied with your order for any reason, please Contact Us and we will work with you to resolve it to your satisfaction.